I went on a retreat this weekend with the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild. I had such a good time and knocked out and kick-started a few projects.
My friend Ace got married in October. And I had promised him something handmade. I had in my head a pillow for his bed. Ace and Stephen have a really pretty duvet cover and bed; I wanted to add something bold and masculine.
I used hand-dyed pieces of red/orange (dare I say tangerine tango?) pimatex. Also, Kona Plum, un-dyed pimatex, and Kona Stone.
First, I bought a king-size pillow from TJMaxx.
Then, I made a little quilt to be the same size.
I pieced this improvisationally, knowing I wanted a stripey sunrise. The quilting is in orange thread, to echo the rays.
Next, I made an envelope back, which I pinned to the back of the quilt and I sewed it down at the same time as I used my machine to attach the front of the binding with my machine. Stitching the back of the binding down by hand took almost as much time as everything that came before. Largely, I think, because pimatex's thread count is so high it is really hard to sew by hand (I tried a few needles!)
The finished pillow has already been delivered to Ace and his husband. They claim to love it (I know I do!)
Sorry about the low res pictures. No promises...but I'll try to get some better ones in the future. In the meantime, I'm feeling re-energized from the retreat (and a better work schedule) and hoping to be seeing more of my sewing machine soon!