22 April 2011

rainbow cake

Ace recently celebrated his birthday.  The day before the party, I saw a picture of this cake
It's a Bobbette & Belle cake. I saw it on Pinterest, which means I saw it all tiny and so was initially under the impression that the ruffles of frosting were M&Ms.  Which made me think "that's awesome.  I want to do a rainbow one for Ace!"

I called Ace's fiance to see if someone was already making a cake and discovered that the job was available.  The schedule was a bit tight for baking since I had many plans, but I figured I could buy the cake and just refrost it.
The grocery store provided all I needed.  The chocolate cheesecake came cheap and they had the full spectrum of generic M&Ms in their bulk candy aisle.

Since blue is Ace's favorite color, I decided the center of the cake would be red so that the outside would be lots & lots of blue.

There was a massive amount of frosting on the cake and I was glad to scrape it off as I'm sure it was full of the cheapest shortening man can buy.  I made up some fresh cream cheese frosting by whipping 1 package of cream cheese with 1/2 stick of butter.  I then stirred in 1 cup of powdered sugar.

The cake then got a thin layer of frosting and the fun of pushing in concentric circles of candy began. I used a cup to mark a circle at the center of the cake so that it would start out even.  Once the red and orange were in, it was easy to keep is symmetric and lovely.


It was a hit!

10 comments:

  1. That's so cute! I can see how it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!!! Loving the colours and the sorting of the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool idea! and with removing the yucky store icing, replacing it with your own, and your fantastic decorations no one would have cared that you didn't bake the cake. Chocolate cheesecake sounds absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a lovely cake...I'm not surprised it was a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! I love it when you think you see something and it triggers an idea in your brain, even thought it's not what you actually saw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I thought the first cake was tissue paper - now I want to make ruffled tissue paper rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fab. Where did you get the candy? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grocery store. I think it was Meijer (a chain we have in Michigan).

      Delete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)